BY PASCAL ZOGHBI
3. Each participant will choose a vernacular Arabic word and select one of the five Kufic styles for the creation of the artwork.
4. Sketching and drawing the word in different approaches. Creating several alternatives.
5. Choosing one of the sketched alternatives and finalizing the Kufic artwork.
6. Scanning the Kufic Artwork and digitizing it.
7. Designing an A3 poster including the Kufic artwork and the small paragraph explaining the meaning of the slang word chosen.
Participants should bring their own laptops.
45 USD/DAY - Regular Ticket (135 USD for 3 days)
30 USD/DAY - Student Ticket (90 USD for 3 days)
ABOUT THE DESIGNER:
Type designer & typographer, Pascal Zoghbi, founded 29Letters (aka 29LT) in 2006. After he graduated from “The Royal Academy of Arts” in The Netherlands with a Master of Design from “Type & Media”, Pascal created a notable collection of contemporary Arabic and multilingual typefaces alongside corporate identities and design projects. Since 2006 until 2017, he has taught as a design professor at various design schools in Lebanon (American University of Beirut, Lebanese American University, & Notre Dame University) and UAE (American University of Sharjah). He co-authored and edited the “Arabic Graffiti” book published in 2010. He was one of the 10 finalists for the “Jameel Prize 3” in 2013/2014. He was awarded the Red Ribbon of TDC Typeface Design Competition in 2014, and awarded a “Special Mention” in Granshan Type Design Competition in 2015. He was born in Lebanon and now is based in Madrid, Spain.